Thursday, November 5, 2009

#9

Memory is something that completely makes us human being. Your memory is what makes you different from everyone else. With memory you know what you have tried to do in your life and you know what has worked and what hasn't worked. We remember our family and their faces and how we are related to them. If we didn't have memory everyone would be walking around not knowing anything and we would be able to even talk to one another because we wouldn't remember how to talk. We would not know anything. We would be like walking dead people. We wouldn't have jobs and we wouldn't have a family because we wouldn't know who was in our family and we wouldn't know how we got to where we were. Life would be pointless. There would be no point to it.
Clive Wearing is a man that has a memory that only lasts for 7 to 30 seconds. Even if he cant remember what he has done he is still a man and a human being. He is someone that is loved and someone that matters. If i was his wife I honesty don't know how i would handle this. It would be a day to day challenge and something that you would have to do. It cant be avoided. I think that the idea a him writing in his diaries is something that is very beneficial to everyone. Her own memory must be very good. She has to remember everything that he doesn't which is pretty much everything.
Honestly, i don't really think of how memory works differently now than i did before. It is something that i am very grateful for and something that i don't want to give up. My memories are my memories. They are something that i will remember an that may change but they will always have a special meaning to them. I still trust my memories and i think that they can be changed and i know that they cant always be true but if you don't believe in your memories than what is there to believe in. I know that they can be changed and that they may be altered but overall i still will believe in my memories. In the memory challenge i found the penny on my second try. It might of been a guess but i was also able to narrow it down from the other options that did not seem right to me.
Something that i found very interesting was when people could remember sexual abuse from the past that they had forgotten about. When people went to sessions and when they looked back into their past they were able to figure out what had happened to them and who did something to them. Personally I think that this is something that should only be done if the person is in danger from it. Why bring up old memories that would hurt you or the ones that you love. Maybe what you think happened you are making up because you feel that you need answers and this ist he only way that you are going to get them. This provides evidence that sometimes when we think we seen something or something happend we are really only making it up and that it never happened. This makes my life almost harder. If you want to know something but it will hurt you then why do you, then why would you want to know. Curiosity is a very powerful thing and it will sometimes get us in a lot of trouble and it can ruin your relationship with someone. I think that this procedure should only be done to peole that actually need it and that cant live with their lives knowing that something happend but don't know what. Others don't need it, it could jut ruin their lives even more.

5 comments:

  1. What you mentioned about memory is absolutely correct. We can put two and two together to figure out who people are, such as our family members, like "hey, that's my sister!" We can also use our memories to remember our experiences and see what has worked in the past, and what hasn't, just to help us out for future reference. Clive Wearing's problem is indeed unavoidable. I give his wife so much gratitude for sticking by his side through everything, and for being his other half. That's what they mean when they say, "for better or for worse!" I agree with what you said about making your memory into something it's not, because you want yourself to believe something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you said that if we didn't have memories, we would all be just like walking dead people. This is totally true because, though we'd be alive, we wouldn't be able to function like normal people. We wouldn't be able to communicate or interact with one another. It's sort of strange to think about a world without memories. I cherish my memories and learn from them so much, I would hate to be without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your blog, i am very greatful for what memory brings to us as well. It keeps us alive in reality and keeps us going and growing. I have alot of thoughts about what your ending had to say, about changing your memory to accomidate what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that we wouldn't be able to distinguish anyone if we had no memory. I can picture now how horrible it would be to have no memory. But, if I only had a short memory I wouldn't know the difference and how good my life is right now. I like all my memories the good and the bad. They shape the way I am today

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having no memory would suck! I liked your analogy about walking around dead people. It is so true. We wouldn't be able to do anything. Thankfully humans have pretty good memories. We can distinguish people, remember how to complete tasks, and use our memories to succeed.

    ReplyDelete