Sensation and perception are what many of us see every day. We see things and then we recognize them. We have five senses; hearing, touch, smell, taste, sight. With these five senses we can interpret what our surroundings are and where we are. When we something out brain has to tell us what we are seeing or if we smell something, our brain has to tell us what we are smelling. This is sensation and perception. Sensation is teh five sense and the the perception is how we interpret them.
One thing that I learned in Chapter 6 is optical illusions. Your mind can see only one thing at a time. When you look at a picture that could be either men marching or arrows going back and forth. You cant see them both together. You know that they are there but they aren't visible at the same time. this doesn't really change how i thing about anything but it does seem interesting to me. This changes my everyday life not really. I know that you cant see two things at once but this just emphasizes it more.
The article that i look at was Emotion, Learning, Attention and Perception. In this article it talked about how if you were looking down the barrel of a gun your thoughts might be interupted with emotion. he amygdala is an almond shaped structure in the medial temporal lobe, roughly in the center of the brain. While certainly not the only structure involved in emotional processes, it is the most extensively researched. You have two types of fear, observational and instructional. In both of these the amygdala is important. This was intresting because I never knew that there was one thing that controled your emotions. I thought it was just a bunch of things. This could be applied to everyday life beacuse when you start to get emotional over something you can finally know what is making you that way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
I thought that the optical illusions were very interesting. Some of them were even pretty fun to do. I think it's interesting how when you look at an illusion one way, you see one thing, but when you look at it a little differently, you seem something different. I also think it's weird how our brains won't let us see both images at the same time.
ReplyDeleteThat's very interesting that one little part in your brain controls your emotions. It usually feels like emotion comes from many different parts of my body.